The Friends of the Madison Public Library is an organization constituted to:
- promote and improve library services, materials and facilities for the Madison community
- stimulate gifts and bequests to the library
- provide volunteer support for the library’s programs
- raise funds for immediate and long-range projects
- encourage the broadest possible use of library facilities, materials and services.
The Friends raise funds from:
- membership dues
- donations and contributions
- sales from the Friends Book Store (a used-book store in the new Central library at 201 W. Mifflin St.)
- annual book sales
Friends funds support programs, services and collection development at the Central Library and all library locations for the benefit of all Madison library patrons
Since the 1960s, the Friends of the Madison Public Library have been providing volunteer support and advocacy, and supplemental funds for special projects and collections to enhance the library experience for all members of the community. Thanks to the proceeds from the Friends Book Store at the Central Library, and successful book sales and other special events (like annual meetings), the Friends have contributed greatly to the Library’s programs and services.
It’s Easy to Become a Friend:
A membership with the Friends of the Madison Public Library starts at $5 for an individual and $10 for a family. Dues and additional contributions from members generally provide between $5,000 and $7,000 in annual revenue for the Friends organization. These dues support author events (like this reading by Michael Perry, who was the featured presenter at the Friends Annual Meeting in 2014), and fund the purchase of books, materials, equipment, programs, services, and more. Dues are kept low to make membership affordable to everyone, young and old, student and senior – but additional contributions from many members allow for significant annual grants to the library.
As a Friend, you help build a strong Library system which:
- Helps children develop a love of reading
- Provides individuals, organizations and businesses free access to vital information resources
- Educates and broadens the horizons of all patrons