Do you love books, have a few days a year to donate to a great cause, and want to be among the first volunteers to work in the great new downtown library? (Go to http://mynewlibrary.org for the latest information on the remodeling project.) The Friends of the Madison Public Library have a volunteer opportunity for you, or you and a spouse or friend, to support the library and community by helping to coordinate two or three book sales annually. Revenue from sales will allow the Friends to make a significant annual grant to the library to enhance the collection and programs throughout the city. The work includes:
- Learning the book flow process, and coordinating with the individual or team that sorts and stores books to select items for the sale
- Calling and scheduling volunteers to work at the sale, or overseeing other volunteers to make these calls
- Working with library staff members to arrange space and order carts and tables on which to display books for sale
- Overseeing the set-up and clean up
- Provide training or directions to the sales clerks as needed
- Working with the Friends treasurer to get change for the sales clerks and deposit the day’s receipts .
A love of books, delight in helping the community, ability to work with others, and experience in coordinating volunteers would be the ideal background for the book manager. But having six to 10 days a year to donate, some knowledge of Friends book sales, or willingness to learn the process, and interest in working with the board to establish prices and procedures, would be the major qualifications needed. Support and on-the-job training will be provided.
This volunteer opportunity would be suitable for an interested individual, or two people who would like to work as a team. Join the Friends using the membership application at https://friendsofmpl.wordpress.com/membership/, and contact Ann Falconer at 241-2571 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.