The Friends of the Madison Public Library heard a report from outgoing Board president Janice Zmrazek at the Annual Meeting on May 13 on the accomplishments of the organization for the 2009-10 fiscal year. Highlights included:
- publication of a newsletter, three mailings, connections with local media to promote book sales (including a spot on the Channel 15 morning show in advance of the April sale), three booksales, expansion of book store hours, and enhancement of the web site.
- connection with the Dane County Time Bank – as a source of volunteers for the bookstore and for book sorting.
- collaboration with the university to get four Badger Volunteers – students doing community service – to work in the bookstore during fall semester.
- joining with other Madison Friends groups to contribute to the Foundation for the new South Madison Branch Library – to fund a community challenge grant.
- recruited new and long-term volunteers to do the work of book sorting to clear out a huge backlog of materials that had collected up during the winter.
- accepted the offer of two long-time Friends – Margaret Rentmeesters and Michele Lustig – to take over coordination of Friends book-sales.
- brought on Mary Ann Allexi as the new book store manager.
- granted $19,700 to the library.